6 Nights / 7 Days Guided Package
Explore the magic of Magoebaskloof, the legendary Modadji and Cycad Reserve and the quiet of Letaba Ranch Game Reserve with this action-packed 6-night/7-day adventure package. The package includes walks and hikes, horse riding and a fantastic canopy tour over the Letaba River gorge, as well as interactions with the local residents. The package starts in Polokwane and ends in Phalaborwa, and is suitable for active people.
Day 1: Polokwane to Bramasole
Your guide will pick you up at your hotel or guest house in Polokwane. We visit the Polokwane Game Reserve for a morning horse ride with guide Lisa Grosel. Entrance fees to the reserve are included. After our horse ride, we take the road towards Haenertsburg and Magoebaskloof, stopping for lunch at the delightful Minki’s Coffee Shop in the village of Haenertsburg (own account). After lunch we drive up to the Haenertsburg cemetery for a walk along the Louis Changuion trail for 2-3 hours. This trail traverses one of the few remaining afro-montane grasslands in Limpopo. Your guide will point out some of the landmarks, including the Iron Crown (tallest mountain in Limpopo) and the Ebenezer Dam. After our walk we travel along the R71 towards our accommodation for the next 3 nights – Bramasole Guest House.
Bramasole was converted from an old farm barn by architect Robin McIntosh and his wife. Most of the rooms look out onto the natural forest that surrounds the establishment.
We enjoy dinner at the nearby Magoebaskloof Hotel (own account).
Day 2: Bramasole, Wegraakbosch Dairy and Lesodi Trail
Enjoy a leisurely breakfast at Bramasole, before we visit Wegraakbosch Organic Dairy. On your dairy tour, you will be taken through the entire cheese production process – from the milking of the cows and goats to the stirring of curds, which is done in a massive copper cauldron in the traditional Swiss manner. Find out how cheeses are shaped and cooled, and fascinating things like how 'good bacteria' are used to mature the cheese and keep the dairy clean. We enjoy a cheese platter for lunch, before heading off to the Lesodi Trail near Bramasole for an afternoon walk through the forest. We end the day with pizza and beers at the Pot ‘n Plow – famous for its pizzas – before returning to Bramasole.
Day 3: Bramasole, Magoebaskloof Canopy Tours
Enjoy a leisurely breakfast at Bramasole, before heading out to Magoebaskloof Adventures in Georges Valley. The guided Magoebaskloof Canopy Tour is an exciting journey through the indigenous forests and over the spectacular Letaba River waterfalls, swinging from platform to platform whilst enjoying the tranquillity of the natural surroundings. Relax and absorb the tranquillity of your natural surroundings on each platform. Magoebaskloof Canopy Tours' trained guides ensure the safety of each group while describing facts about the fauna, flora and ecology of the surrounding environment. We end the tour with a light meal overlooking the beautiful valley.
The afternoon is at leisure – either to enjoy the forest trails around Bramasole, to enjoy the tranquillity of the Bramasole lake or to try your hand at trout fishing!
We visit a restaurant in Haenertsburg for dinner (own account).
Day 4: Bramasole, Debengeni to Modjadji Cultural Camp
We have a relaxed breakfast at Bramasole before checking out. We leave Bramasole and take a leisurely drive into the Woodbush Forest – using Forest Drive to descend the escarpment. The drive allows us to appreciate the majestic mountains and forests, with various birds and waterfalls along the way. Our morning drive ends at Debengeni Waterfall where we enjoy a picnic lunch.
From Debengeni we travel to the Modjadji African Ivory Route Cultural Camp. At the entrance to the ‘Garden of the Rain Queen’ you will have a chance to see the traditional home of the Modjadji’s Rain Queen, and get an insight into their traditions. The guide will then take you on a hike through the famous cycad reserve, ending in the Modjadji Camp. Check in for the evening and enjoy the storytelling and convivial atmosphere around the camp fire.
Day 5: Modjadji Cultural Camp to Mtomeni Camp
Depart Modjadji after breakfast and travel to the unfenced Mtomeni Tented Camp in Letaba ranch. An afternoon drive will offer your first chance to see the wildlife of the area. Dinner is around the campfire and you’ll sleep in safari tents with en-suite, flush ablutions.
Day 6: Mtomeni Camp
Depart at first light on a game drive in an open safari vehicle or on a guided walk, depending on the recommendation of the guide. Stop at strategic points for short walks to see additional details. Return to camp for a late brunch. Rest in camp during the heat of the day and depart mid-afternoon for an evening game drive, returning to the camp at sunset. Dinner is served around the campfire.
Day 7: Mtomeni Camp to Phalaborwa Airport
Depart Mtomeni after a leisurely breakfast for the Phalaborwa Airport.
- Horse riding in Polokwane Nature Reserve
- Lunch at fantastic Minki’s Coffee Shop in Haenertsburg
- Stay at beautiful Bramasole Guest House in Magoebaskloof
- Experience both the afro-montane grasslands and forests of Magoebaskloof on walks
- Wegraakbosch Organic Dairy Cheese-making tour and platters
- Magoebaskloof Canopy tour
- Pizza and beer at Pot ‘n Plow
- Drive down forest drive in the Woodbush Forest
- Have a picnic lunch at Debengeni Waterfall
- Personal, authentic interaction with locals & their traditions and guided by local experts at Modjadji and Mtomeni
- Big 5 reserve wildlife experience at Mtomeni
- All transport in an airconditioned vehicle, with driver guide.
- 3 nights’ accommodation at the 4-star Bramasole Guest House on a bed & breakfast basis
- All activities, including game drives or walks at Mtomeni Camp
- Lunches at Wegraakbosch and Magoebaskloof Canopy Tours, as well as dinner at Pot ‘n Plow
- All meals while staying at Modjadji and Mtomeni Camps
- Accommodation in safari tents or rondavels with en-suite and basic solar lights, including linen at Modjadji and Mtomeni Camps
- Meals provided cooked in local style (where traditional food is supplied a range of western dishes will also be included) at Modjadji and Mtomeni
- Community-specialized guides at both Modjadji and Mtomeni Camps
- Accommodation in Polokwane before the start of the tour
- Meals not specified
- Personal purchases and gratuities
Rates for a group of 4 to 6 people. Valid till end Dec 2018
- R20 682 per person, sharing for the itinerary above.
- Larger groups or different itineraries to be quoted on request.
- Additional activities can be added to the itinerary at an additional rate.
- Standard terms & conditions apply